This guide explains how to do a mail merge using Microsoft Word 2010 and Excel 2010. Word and Excel versions (2003, 2007 or 2013) follow similar processes however you might need to consult their respective user guides.
You can do a mail merge from Salpo CRM using the Export to CSV option, located in the top right hand corner on any list page. Once this option has been selected you will receive a link which once clicked takes you to a page where you can download the CSV.
Splitting the Street Address
Before you can mail merge you will need to split the content inside the Street Address column within the export CSV file. Salpo CRM exports this field with the carriage returns (as it displays in the system), however Word does not recognise this and as a result, lead to words jumbled together. The following points can me see in the video below.
- For best results you need to move every line in the street address to its own column. When you do this, Excel will overwrite the other columns of data, so firstly move all columns except Street Address to a safe distance away (for example, up to the T column)
- Highlight the Street Address column; select the Data tab then the Text to Columns button
- Leave Delimited selected and select Next
- Because you need to split the Street Address by carriage return, deselect the Tab checkbox and select the Other checkbox instead
- Inside the text field next to Other hold down the ctrl key and press the letter j (this is the command for carriage return. For a Mac it is cmd+j)
- Select Next
- You can choose to change the data formats for each column (the default settings will be ok for most data). Once you are happy select Finish
- The Street Address will now be split up into separate columns
- Ensure you relabel the new columns of data with Street Address 2, Street Address 3 etc.
- You might have some addresses which span over several columns, so run you mouse down the list to check which is the last column to contain any street address data and then delete all of the unused columns up to your Town/City column
- Once you are happy with the spreadsheet, save and close the file
The Mail Merge
- Open an existing Word document, or create a new one.
- From the Mailings tab, click the Start Mail Merge button and select Step by Step Mail Merge Wizard from the drop-down menu.
- Follow the Wizard instructions remembering to select your saved Excel export (when it asks you to Select Recipients, click the Browse button and find your saved Excel export).