The bulk update function allows you to update a selected field en mass against a list of contacts, opportunities and custom objects.
Examples of how you may use the bulk update function, are as follows:
1. If you are recording the name of a salesperson or an account manager against a contact and you wish to change the option of a custom field to assign a list of contacts to a new account manager.
2. If you wish to change the status of a number of opportunities.
3. If you wish to add additional options to a custom field against a project (i.e. set up as custom object).
Some important points to note:
- Bulk updating custom fields requires the necessary permissions to be allocated to a user.
- Once you have updated a field via the bulk update you cannot undo it.
- There are several different ways to update a field, they are:
Standard fields (name and contact details)
1. Add another (not on name field)
2. Add another make primary (not on name field)
3. Overwrite field
4. Clear field (not on name field)
1. Add to existing (available on text block and multi-select fields.
2. Overwrite field
3. Clear field
4. Find all and remove - searches for a specific value and removes it.
Here's how bulk edit and update fields:
In this example I would like to identify all the businesses in the U.K and assign them the colour "red". I wish to overwrite all existing data and add this option even if the field is empty.
1. Create a filtered list to define all the UK companies, click on the list Actions button, and select Update
2. The Bulk Edit dialogue box will show, it will confirm the type of fields you are about to update
3. From the Edit Breakdown box, do the following:
a) Select the field you wish to change (in this case the Colours field).
b) Select how you wish to update the field (in this case Add and overwrite data)
c) Select the option (in this case red).
d) Click next
4. You will then see a summary, click confirm to make the changes.